Korean Skincare & Regimen
In the last 2 years alone, I’ve had more #makeupfreesince93 days than I have all my life. Naturally the number of fucks I have to give have gone down significantly with age, but so have the blemishes, spots, and imperfections on my face. Also I stopped being that dumbass who uses drugstore body moisturizers with sulfates and parabens on my face (touché.)
Here goes everything I know, in the order in which I indulge them:
• I have never gone to bed with my makeup on. I even taught my husband my makeup removal routine in case I’m too sleepy or lazy! I use Clinique Take The Day Off Balm for my eyes; I mix honey and olive oil (or Innisfree Cleansing Oil when I’m lazy) for my face. Honey is anti bacterial so it really gets the gunk out without leaving any chemical residue.
• I start with Skinfood Egg White Pore Cleanser on a Clarisonic MIA brush and I use Kleenex to pat dry my face instead of a towel
• Always go from thin to thick with moisturizers. I start with L’Oréal Hydra Genius (based on skin type, I use Oily-Normal in the US and Dry-Normal in India) as a serum. Using a serum increases skin’s moisture retention, and using one within 5 minutes of cleansing helps a great deal to absorb better. My favorite Korean serum is the Aqua Grape Bounce Bubble Serum from Skinfood.
• I follow up with the Skinfood Lettuce and Cucumber watery cream. This is a light, non greasy moisturizer perfect for Indian/ more humid weather. My California equivalent is the Snail Repair Cream Moisturizer by Seoul Ceuticals.
• Easily the most important product in my skincare routine, Supergoop SPF 50 Sunscreen during the AM - I’ve sworn by this product for 3 years and don’t plan on ever giving it up! La Roche Posay is a pricier Korean alternative (because I seriously recommend investing in a good sunscreen) and I’ve also tried and loved Nature Republic’s California Aloe Daily 50+.
• I never touch my face unless I’m putting moisturizer or makeup, and if I do, I make sure to thoroughly wash my hands
• I clean my makeup brushes and sponges after 2 uses or 1 week, whichever comes first
• I use the Forest Essentials Ubtan twice a week to exfoliate, and Skinfood Potato/ Aloe/ Bamboo sheet mask twice a week
• I never go to bed without indulging in an extra hydrating night routine
• I don’t use a toner or an eye cream because I just don’t find the need to. I tried both for 6 months, it didn’t make a difference. I simply dab on extra moisturizer using my ring finger around the eye area. But if you’d like to, Son & Park Beauty Water is the Korean toner and I’d recommend
• When I feel a pimple coming on, I take a pinch of turmeric with honey (or water at night) and dab it around the area. Poof, it goes away in a few hours. This won’t work if your pimple has already sprouted though :(
In conclusion, I just want to say that while this regimen has definitely done wonders, the thing that would negatively affect my skin is not the lack of my K products, but the lack of healthy food, water, and daily meditation. Those would forever be my holy grail “products” that have helped me inch closer to that pristine, healthy glow.