Food & Nutrition 101
any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth
Key words: nutritious, life, growth. Not burgers, not fries, not the packaged s#it you’ll find near the checkout aisle.
Here’s the thing about me that might piss you off a little: I LOVE HEALTHY FOOD! I don't live to eat (it is totally okay if you do), and I don’t ever need “cheat days” for this reason. Until 2015, I was the six-small-meals-every-2-hours person. I switched to intermittent fasting then (16:8) for more than one reason (will go over this in a later post.) I eat my first meal around 1pm, and my last meal around 9pm, that means 16 hours of fasting including sleep time.
We’ve always been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it kickstarts your metabolism, keeps you from snacking, and helps you control your portions for lunch/ dinner etc. This is where I want you to pause, be open to a counter-intuitive theory, and read this NY Times articleabout 2016’s Nobel Prize winner, Yoshinori Ohsumi’s (Japanese cellular biologist) research work on fasting/ autophagy.
What I ate till March 2017 and decided to go cold turkey on:
- Sugar (absolutely zero except for fruits)
- Dairy (no pizzas, no desserts)
- Anything with ingredients that I cannot pronounce
- Anything that isn’t cooked at home
What I make sure to eat/ drink everyday:
- I start my day with a glass of warm lemon water followed by coffee (black with a splash of almond milk)
- I snack on one banana, walnuts and almonds around 1pm just before I workout, and probably another cup of coffee
- Vega all-in-one post-workout
- A huge green salad or green juice
- Quinoa with stir-fried veggies/ dal
- Soft-boiled egg whites
- Avocado on toast
- A little less than 1 gallon of water
What I eat because I live with serious gastronomes (once in a month-ish):
Tips to help you control your intake to your liking/ goals:
- Wait 20 minutes to decide if you want another helping or another item. It takes your brain that long to decide if it is full or not.
- If it is something you shouldn’t eat, just don’t. Instead, delay it till the nearest weekend just to practice control.
- When you have hunger pangs and know that you will go for a 5-course meal, start with a green salad. Two reasons: 1. everything tastes good when you’re that hungry, 2. you will end up eating less of the bad stuff
- If you’re heading out for the day, carry a banana, some nuts, a bottle of water, and berries to snack on if you can’t pack lunch. Better than chips, fries, or manufactured junk
Got more questions? Email me. Next up: How to quit dairy, sugar, processed foods, and control your junk cravings FOR GOOD!